President's Leadership Program
Certificate in Leadership Studies
The mission of the President’s Leadership Program (PLP) is to develop and train emerging leaders at Otero College through a one- or two-year academic leadership program that is focused on academics, service and experiential learning.
The President’s Leadership Program is designed to develop an experiential and academic learning program designed to foster and cultivate leaders who are:
PLP scholars are given opportunities to learn about leadership through numerous hands-on experiences throughout their one or two years in the program. This will be provided, but not limited to, annual leadership workshops and conferences, lectures from recognized leaders, and opportunities for leadership positions on campus and in the community. As part of this experience, students will become an active member of Phi Theta Kappa or other approved organizations.
Leadership Studies Certificate Curriculum
An academic certificate in Leadership Studies at Otero College requires 12-credit hours of classes and is limited to scholars who are accepted into the program. The program requires two core leadership courses and additional elective courses from a wide variety of academic programs on campus.
Students must complete the 6-credit hour leadership core plus an additional 6-credits of electives for the 12-credit hour certificate with a grade of "B" or higher to receive the certificate.
Required Courses (6 credits) :
● MAN 224 Leadership ( leadership core requirement)
● MAN 287 Cooperative Education/Internship (leadership core requirement)
Elective Courses (6-credit requirement) :
Students may choose 2 of the following courses to fulfill elective requirements
● MAN 128 Human Relations in Organizations
● BUS 217 Business Communication & Report Writing
● POS 205 International Relations
● COM 115 Public Speaking
● COM 125 Interpersonal Communications
● PHI 111 Introduction to Philosophy
● PHI 112 Ethics
● PSY 101 General Psychology
● SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology I
● SOC 102 Introduction to Sociology II
Leadership Program Selection and Application
Selection for the President’s Leadership Program is based on leadership potential, intellectual curiosity, and commitment to service. Scholars will be chosen based on:
- A minimum 3.2 cumulative grade point average
- Completed written application that includes an essay question and examples of leadership and service experiences
- Two letters of recommendation
- High school or college transcripts
- Personal interview
Please note you will be asked to choose from the following essay topics as a part of this application. It is suggested that you choose a topic and prepare your essay in Word prior to completing the remainder of the application for the President’s Leadership Program. The essay can then be copied into the online application form.
Select one (1) of the following questions and respond to it in an essay of 500 words or less. You will be evaluated on the thoughtfulness of your response and how well you explain and/or defend your position. Please attach this essay to your application. Your name should be in the upper right-hand corner of all attached pages.
- Explain why leadership is important to you? How has leadership changed your life? How do you plan to incorporate leadership in your future?
- Many highly effective leaders have noted that they have learned more about leadership in times of crisis than times of success. As president of the United States, select a current problem, issue or crisis and describe how you would address it.
- What does the term “servant-leadership” mean to you? Describe a person who is a servant-leader and why those qualities have made him or her successful.
Leadership Training Scholarships
The Otero College Foundation provides 10 annual scholarships in the amount of $1,000 to each selected scholar ($500 for Fall Semester and $500 for Spring Semester). This scholarship will be renewed for one more years if the scholar maintains a 3.2 college GPA and remains in good standing with the program and meets the year-two continuation eligibility requirements. Continuation of scholarship awards past the first two years will be contingent upon funding.
Note: If the scholar should drop below a cumulative 3.2 GPA, they will be allowed to remain in the program for the next semester; however, scholarship funding will not be provided for that semester. If they bring their cumulative GPA up to a 3.2 their scholarship funds will be re-instated the following semester. If the scholar’s cumulative GPA remains below a 3.2 for two consecutive semesters, the scholar’s continuation in the program will be at the discretion of the program director.
The President's Leadership Program serves as a bridge between the Otero College community and the greater community by continually developing partnerships with area leaders, businesses and community service organizations.
Transfer of Credits
The structure, criteria and quality of academic programming is aligned with that of four-year institutions in the region as closely as possible, while still maintaining transferability of all courses specifically related to the Leadership academic curriculum. Efforts are made by Otero to work with each of those colleges to create the opportunity for students to seamlessly transfer into those programs after leaving Otero.