Basic Skills Assessment
The Testing Center is located in McBride Hall Student Services Center. The phone number is: 719-384-6948,
FAX: 719-384-6933. Online information can be found at: http://www.otero.edu/futurestudents/admissions/placementtesting.aspx
Otero Junior College uses Multiple Measures to direct students into appropriate English, reading and mathematics courses and to advise students in the selection of other courses.
The purpose of using Multiple Measures is to assist students in achieving their academic goals by placing them into courses appropriate to their academic skill level. Students will be advised to enroll into appropriate English, math, or reading courses based upon multiple measures.
Students who would like to review before testing may access free resources at:
FREE STUDY AP – http://accuplacerpractice.collegeboard.org
Students may be exempt from one or more of the tests if they meet one of the following criteria:
1. Submit proof of an Associate degree or higher degree.
2. Submit transcripts showing the successful completion of basic-skills instruction in reading, writing or mathematics from another institution.
3. Submit transcripts showing the successful completion (“C” or better or its equivalent) in a college-level course in English and/or math from another institution.
4. Submit minimum ACT scores of 17 in reading, 18 in English, and 23 in math, or SAT scores of 470 in verbal and 590 in math.
5. For math placement, submit high school transcripts, with grades of B or higher - completed within the last 12 months - for Algebra II, Geometry, or Pre-Calculus, and an unweighted cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
6. For English placement, submit high school transcripts, with grades of B or higher - completed within the last 2 years - for junior or senior year English, and an unweighted cumulative GPA of 3.0 of higher.
NOTE: Students must submit copies of their college transcript, high school transcript or ACT or SAT test scores to Otero Junior College Student Services to receive an exemption from taking all or part of the assessment test.