Skip Main Navigation

Advising & Registration


Academic advising is recommended for all students. Through advising, students will learn which courses must be completed to achieve their educational goals. Advisors will use program requirements and information published in the current college catalog. Problems concerning course load or proper choice of courses should be discussed with Student Affairs.

When admitted, students will select an academic advising area. The area selected should be part of a degree or program objective. Advisors must review and approve programs before processing registration.

Credit for Prior Learning - Students can earn credit for prior learning through:

1. Standardized Exams: CLEP, AP, IB, DSST/DLPT, and UExcel Examinations
2. Institutional Challenge Exams
3. Local Industry and Workplace Credit: Faculty evaluate training in local business and industry to identify PLA opportunities for workers seeking higher level degrees or certification.
4. Portfolio Assessment: A compilation of verifiable artifacts and evidence that demonstrate the student’s mastery of CCNS course competencies. This evidence may include any of the other PLA Credit methods, individual skills demonstrations, and/or narratives documenting learning.
5. To learn more about Credit for Prior Learning, please contact Student Services at 719-384-6831.


After advisement and selection of classes, the next step is to register. This simply involves submitting an approved registration form for input into the records system. This step can be completed in the Student Services Center or online through MY Otero during the registration period, which begins several months before the new semester. Students can also register during the first week of classes of the new semester; however, class selection is limited at that time.

Residency Classification

Resident and Non-resident

For tuition purposes, students must be classified as either in-state or out-of-state when they are admitted. Classification for tuition purposes at state-supported colleges and universities is governed by Colorado statute. Before being entitled to in-state tuition, students must be domiciled in Colorado and fulfill specific citizen responsibilities for one full calendar year prior to registration. Those requirements state that a student 23 years of age and younger be required to provide proof of emancipation from their parents. Parents need to have entirely surrendered the right to their care, custody and earnings and make no provisions for their support. Emancipated minors who have been granted in-state tuition status are subject to reclassification as out-of-state if their parents resume support.

Students classified “non-resident” pay a higher tuition charge than those classified “resident.” However, students classified as non-residents who believe that they can qualify as residents may obtain a petition for In-State Tuition Classification and a copy of the Colorado statute from the Office of Student Affairs. Students must submit the petition plus required supporting documents to the Office of Student Affairs by the first day of classes for the term they wish to be considered for in-state status. Be aware that turning in a petition does not guarantee that residency status will be changed. If the petition is denied and students do not drop classes by the deadline, they must still pay the tuition and fees charged for nonresidents.

To challenge the ruling on the petition, students may appeal to the Tuition Classification Review Committee. Contact the Office of Student Affairs staff for more information. To access Colorado’s complete statute on residency qualifications go to:

Residents of Alaska, California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona and Washington qualify for a special tuition rate. States available for this rate may change each year. Check with the Vice President of Student Affairs for a current listing of states participating in the program. Contact the Office of Student Affairs at 719-384-6831 for additional information.

Colorado ASSET Students

Classification as a Colorado ASSET student allows eligible students without documentation to pay in-state tuition, rather than out-of state tuition, as well as receive the Colorado Opportunity Fund stipend at Otero College.

Requirements for ASSET status students:
1. Have attended high school for three years immediately before graduating from a Colorado high school
2. Be admitted to a participating college within 12 months of graduating from a Colorado high school
3. If the student is not legally present in the U.S., they much sign an affidavit saying they are currently seeking or will seek legal status as soon as they are eligible.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Students

Classification as a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) student allows eligible students without documentation to pay in-state tuition, rather than out-of-state tuition, as well as receive the Colorado Opportunity Fund stipend at Otero College.

Requirements for DACA status students:

1. Have graduated from a Colorado high school or have taken the GED in Colorado prior to September 1, 2013
2. Were not accepted or attending college within 12 months of graduation
3. Documented 18 months of being physically present in Colorado on a continuous basis
4. Provide at least two of the following document:

• If under the age of 23 and single, submit a copy of parent's lease, rental agreement or deed to their home where you reside in Colo.
• Submit proof of employment such as a letter from an employer with dates of employment or submit two years of Colorado income taxes being filed
• Submit a copy of your Employment Authorization Card
• Submit a copy of your Colorado ID or Colorado driver's licenses for the past 18 months

For assistance with tuition classification, please contact the Otero Financial Aid Office: 719-384-6834.

More information on ASSET or DACA student classifications can be found at: