Skip Main Navigation

Living on Campus

The residence halls are designed to provide an environment that provides each resident with the best possible opportunity for academic and personal growth. Benefits of living on campus are many and include:

  • Meeting new people
  • Involvement in academic and social programs
  • Minutes away from classes and campus activities
  • Dining facilities
  • Utilities and high-speed Internet included

When you apply for housing, you will be prompted to log in to your student account using your S# and password. To receive your S# and password you must first apply to Otero College.

Room Assignments

Roommate assignments are made by the Residence Hall Director with the assistance of college staff. Students who wish to request a specific roommate may do so when they complete the housing contract. These requests are taken into consideration but cannot always guarantee that’s who your roommate will be. All room changes must be cleared with the Residence Hall Director. If you have problems with a roommate, please contact the Residence Hall Director to work out the problem or to make a change.

Otero College reserves the right to change any room assignment without notice.

Room Furnishings


Desk Icon

Desk & Chair

Bed icon

Bed (Twin X-Long)


Dresser icon


Closet icon



The following furnishings are to be provided by the student:

  • Linens (sheets, blankets, bedspread, towels, pillow)
  • Lamps and rugs
  • Laundry items (clothes bag, basket, hangers, detergent)
  • Personal items (toiletries, hygiene) and anything that you feel relevant within college regulations.



Cable Television icon

Cable TV

Internet icon

Internet Service

Ping pong icon

Game Room

Laundry machine

Laundry Facilities

  1. Fill out an online housing contract through E-Rez Life
    If you have any other questions please contact the Residence Hall Director, at 719-384-6875 or email 
  2. Submit your completed online housing contract
    Completed housing contracts will be e-mailed to the Director of Auxiliary Services and the Otero Cashier in Student Center.
  3. Pay your refundable $100 deposit
    You can give your deposit to the Cashier in Student Center, pay online by logging into MyOtero\Student Finance\Pay Bill, mail in a check or call and give your credit card information over the phone at 719-384-6843.

    Mail check to: 
    Otero College Cashier
    Cashier's Office
    1802 Colorado Ave.
    La Junta, CO 81050

    Request for Housing Deposit Refund

  4. Turn in a copy of your vaccination records

    Please visit Otero's Vaccination Policies page for more information on required vaccination records and exemption details.

    Once you have applied for housing you will be assigned to a room by the Residence Hall Director. You will receive a letter the first week in August letting you know your room assignment and also containing important information concerning checking in to the residence halls.

    If you have any other questions please contact the Residence Hall Director, at 719-384-6875 or email 

Cancellation of application-contract by applicant: This Application-Contract may be canceled and the one hundred dollar ($100.00) deposit and any other payments on the Contract will be refunded provided request for such cancellation is received in the College Housing Office on or before AUGUST 1st of the current year. This Application-Contract cannot be cancelled by the applicant after the above-mentioned date if the applicant attends Otero College during any part of the period for which accommodations are requested. If the applicant is officially denied admission to the college prior to the beginning of the period for which accommodations are requested, the deposit of one hundred dollars ($100.00) will be refunded.

Application of deposit: If the Contract is fully completed by the applicant, hereinafter referred to as “student”, the deposit will be refunded upon surrender of the room at the end of the Contract year or graduation.

Period of contract: The Contract is for the entire academic year, or, if the student applied for accommodations after the beginning of the academic year, for that part of the academic year remaining after the effective date of the Contract. I agree that if I have not requested cancellation of the Contract on or before the date stated on the Contract, and if I attend Otero College, I will live in Otero Housing during the entire academic year for which this Contract is made. If I fail to fulfill the terms of the Contract, I understand one of the following conditions will apply and that financial penalty will be imposed.

Moving from Otero Housing, I understand that my housing deposit will be forfeited.

Moving from Otero Housing prior to mid-term (8 weeks into semester) will result in room and board charges being prorated. After the 8 weeks, students will be charged for the entire semester.

Full-time student: Students living in Otero Housing are required to be of full-time status carrying 12 or more credit hours.

Occupancy of hall: Rooms may be occupied two days prior to the first day of classes. Rooms may not be occupied by students when the Residence Hall is closed during vacation periods and must be vacated at the close of the academic year. All personal property must be removed from College property on the last day of the period of occupancy. The college does not offer any storage for belongings outside the occupants’ assigned room.

Room assignment, residence hall parking, charges, and payments: After a room has been assigned to the student the College will notify the student of their room assignment. The College reserves the right to change the room assignment and to require the student to move to different accommodations when the College deems it expedient, in which event the student’s account will be credited, or charged, with any difference in the charges. I agree that should I bring a vehicle to Otero, while in attendance, I will obtain a parking permit for the window, display it and park in the designated areas for housing students.

Fire, theft or damage: The College will not be responsible for the loss of or damage to any of the student’s personal property. The student shall reimburse the College for all damage to the structure in which he is housed and damage to, or loss of, any College fixtures, furnishings or personal property furnished under this Contract caused by any negligence on the part of the student.

In the event that the accommodations assigned to the student are destroyed or otherwise made unavailable and the College does not furnish other accommodations in the same or another Residence Hall, the Contract shall terminate any and all rights and liabilities of the parties hereto shall cease and the right of the College and student to payments previously made by the student shall be prorated on the basis of the period for which accommodations were made available to the student.

Rules and regulations: The student shall comply with all rules and regulations of Otero Housing and of the College which are now, or are hereafter, in effect, which rules and regulations specifically made a part of the Contract reference. By affixing my signature I agree to comply with all disciplinary rules set forth in the Housing Handbook and general regulations of the college.

Completion of application: Current application must be completed with current housing application and deposit paid in full.

Do you offer on-campus housing for all students?

Otero College offers Housing only to students who are taking at least 12 credit hours and are between the ages of 17 and 23 years of age. All other requests or exceptions must be made as a petition to the Residence Hall Manager.

Do first-year and second-year students have the option of living off-campus if so desired?

All single students under 21 years of age who do not live with their parents or relatives while attending Otero College are required to live in Otero Housing. Residents must be 17 years of age at the beginning of the year under contract.

Do you offer off-campus housing for students?

All off-campus housing is provided by private landlords. Otero College does not currently coordinate property listings or recommend any particular landlord. Eligible students (see above) who prefer to rent a room, apartment or house, can do so independently or with roommates. There are limited rental options in and around La Junta.

Typically, students must be 21 years or older to rent an apartment or house in the community. Most renters are required to sign leases ranging from six months to a year, and pay additional damage deposits. Off-campus rentals rarely include furniture (bed, couch, desk, etc.). And finally, most require you to pay separately for water, sewer, trash, electric, gas, phone, and cable. You may also have to pay for laundry services or mow the lawn and shovel snow.

What kind of housing options does the college offer?

Otero College offers three housing options; this includes Wunsch Hall, Conley Complex and South Site. Wunsch Hall (traditional residence hall) and Conley (suite style residence halls) can house up to 315 students. The South Site is located 1.5 miles from campus and can house up to 32 students. All housing options include furnished rooms, free laundry, air conditioning, and no utility bills. Most first year students live in Wunsch Hall. Conley Complex and South Site are co-ed while Wunsch Hall is two single-sex buildings, one male and one female, connected by a common lobby and lounge.

Can I live in any of the Housing options offered? What residence hall should I pick?

Most all first year students live in Wunsch Hall. Once housing applications are accepted for review, residence hall room assignments are made first come, first served. Conley Complex is a very desired living space and for this reason, Conley Complex (suite style housing) is often filled up by returning student sophomores. Very few, if any, first-year students live in Conley Complex. Wunsch Hall (traditional residence hall) primarily houses freshman. South Site is for the exclusive use of Law Enforcement Academy and Rodeo students only.

What are the required steps for securing a Residence Hall room for new incoming students?

New incoming students are required to fill out an application through E-Rez Life AND pay the $100 deposit AND submit required Vaccination Documentation.

What Vaccination Documentation is required?

Please visit Otero's Vaccination Policies page for more information regarding specific documentation that is required.

What is it like to live in Wunsch Hall?

If you are looking to meet a lot of new people, the living style in Wunsch Hall is a great way to make friends quickly. Wunsch Hall features one, two, and three-person rooms with community bathrooms on each floor. Wunsch Hall provides laundry facilities and a large lobby that is always a great place to gather. The west side of the building has three floors and houses male students. The east side of the building has two floors and houses female students. The centrally-located lobby has ping pong and pool tables, television and computers. There are gender specific public restrooms on each floor and laundry facilities available for student use. All housing options include furnished rooms, free laundry, air conditioning, and no utility bills.

Are the residence halls co-ed? Are there ‘freshman’ residence halls?

Wunsch Hall includes one building that is all-women and another building that is all men. These two single-sex buildings share a common lobby, lounge, and staff office. Conley Complex and South Site are divided into single-sex suites. So while men and women may be neighbors, they do not share a common bathroom in any of our residence hall options. There are no ‘freshman’ only residence halls.

When do the residence halls open for the start of the school year?

Residence halls open at 10am on the Saturday immediately preceding the start of the new semester. More information will be e-mailed in official room assignment correspondence. Early arrival accommodations are organized for sport athletes and international students only.

Unfortunately, the college can not allow any other student or groups to arrive before the residence halls officially open. Students arriving earlier than the official open date will need to stay in a local hotel.

When do the residence halls close for the end of the school year?

Most students should plan to leave 24 hours after their spring semester last final exam. The absolute final day that students can stay in the Residence Halls is the night before Graduation. All students must be moved out of the Residence Halls by 5pm on the day of Graduation.

What items should I not bring? May I cook in my room? Can I bring my own furniture?

For safety reasons, we limit cooking in the residence hall rooms. Foreman grills, electric skillets, hot plates, open burners, gas cook stoves, full-sized refrigerators, full-size microwaves, and space heaters are prohibited. Popcorn poppers, electric coffee pots, and minifridges are permitted.

Microwave ovens are permitted, but they must be mini, dorm-sized microwaves. Standard, kitchen- sized microwaves are not permitted. Students should not bring their own furniture unless it is small enough not to create a fire hazard or impeded on the space of their roommate. Furniture placed in the room by the college will likely not be moved or stored by the college; it will have to stay in the room.

What size are the beds and mattresses?

Student rooms are furnished with a bed and a mattress. The bed frames are designed so that students can bunk or loft the beds easily if desired. The mattresses are 79 inches long by 35 inches wide.

Is there summer housing?

Otero College does not offer summer housing. Students may find local landlords willing to offer a summer contract or lease.

Is smoking allowed in the residence facilities?

All residence halls are non-smoking. In addition, obnoxious odors are prohibited. An obnoxious odor is any aroma of such intensity that it becomes apparent to others. Obnoxious odors that are the result of persons using or being in the presence of marijuana, alcohol, excessive fragrances, cigarettes, cigars, pipes, or other substances are prohibited because such smells disturb the living-learning environment of the residence hall.

Is there storage available in the buildings?

Otero College does not offer storage during the school year or during any break. Students can contact local storage companies in La Junta for more information about storage options.

Can I change rooms if I want?

Residents may submit a Room Change Request form to the Residence Hall Manager. Room Change Requests will be reviewed after the second full week of classes each semester until the last two weeks of the semester. These requests are handled on a first come, first served basis. Before any room changes will be made, the Residence Hall Manager assesses the student's needs. Room switches are generally granted for the following reasons:

  • Unresolved roommate issues (mediation was attempted but failed)
  • Threat of violence or bodily injury
  • Psychological distress by a roommate
  • Survivor of sexual assault or violence
  • Maintenance issues that cannot be fixed in a reasonable time frame

The Residence Hall Manager must give approval in writing prior to any student moving their belongings from one room to another. Residents who complete an unauthorized change or fail to complete an approved housing change may lose their preferred room assignment, be required to relocate, and /or be subject to disciplinary action, including a $50 fine.

What do I do if I need special accommodations?

Students requesting housing accommodations should contact the Residence Hall Manager.

What housekeeping services are offered in the halls?

The custodial staff is responsible for cleaning the common areas of all residence halls and the bathrooms of Wunsch Hall. The student is responsible for cleaning her room or apartment on a regular basis. Students living in Conley Complex or South Site must clean their own bathrooms as well.

Can I decorate my residence hall room?

Students are allowed to use temporary decorations. Decorations or changes to the room that require putting holes in the walls or creating any permanent fixtures are not allowed. Any permanent changes will be assessed a damage charge.

Are pets allowed in the residence hall?

No unauthorized pets of any kind are permitted in Otero Housing. Your housing arrangements can be immediately revoked for having a pet and at a minimum, a fine of $25 per day can be imposed on students who bring any unauthorized animal into Otero Housing. Live-in faculty and professional staff may be granted permission to have a dog or cat live in their own apartment. Emotional Support Animals and Service Animals are permitted only after a student has provided the college with appropriate documentation and has received written approval from the Residence Hall Manager who coordinates with Accessibility Services.

Can students have a car on campus?

Students may bring a personal vehicle to campus but must get a free campus parking permit.

May I stay in my room Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, or Spring Break?

Otero College Housing will be closed for Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break. For valid and limited reasons, students may stay during Thanksgiving Break or Spring Break but only if they have received written permission from the Residence Hall Director at least one week ahead of the break. There is no option for students to stay in Otero Housing during Winter Break (the dates between the end of Fall Semester and the start of Spring Semester). During Thanksgiving and Spring break students regular electronic key will not open the exterior doors unless they have made arrangements in advance with the Hall Manager.

Who is financially or legally responsible for the cost of student Housing?

No matter who fills out a Housing Application, it is the student who is financially responsible for the costs of living in the Residence Halls. All bills associated with housing are assigned to the student, not the student’s parents or any other person.

Can a Housing Application be canceled and the deposit refunded before school starts?

The Application-Contract may be canceled and the one hundred-dollar ($100.00) deposit refunded in some circumstances. The Contract will be refunded provided request for such cancellation is received by the Residence Hall Manager on or before AUGUST 1st of the current year. This Application-Contract cannot be cancelled by the applicant after the above-mentioned date if the applicant attends Otero College during any part of the period for which accommodations are requested. If the applicant is officially denied admission to the college prior to the beginning of the period for which accommodations are requested, the deposit of one hundred dollars ($100.00) will be refunded.

Can residents of on-campus housing get a refund if they checked-in but leave before semester’s end?

Any student requesting to leave Otero Housing must submit the request in writing to the Residence Hall Manager. If students leave during the first eight weeks of any semester, the unused portion of the room and board charges will be refunded (prorated refund). After eight weeks, there will be no refund for room and board. Refund requests will be coordinator by the Residence Hall Manager to the Otero Cashier. If a student is no longer attending classes, it is important to make sure that they drop all courses so that charges are corrected according to policy.

Are there jobs or student leadership positions available in the residence halls?

There are student staff hired as Resident Assistants (RA) each Spring. In addition, each year one or more work study positions are hired to help manage the Wusnch Hall Office. 

Where can residents pick up postal mail?

Residents can pick up their postal mail (i.e. letters) from their individual mail boxes. For Wunsch Hall residents, the mail boxes are located in the Wunsch Hall Lobby right next to the Office window. The Wunsch Hall mail boxes are opened by combination. Conley A, Conley B, and Conley C residents pick up their postal mail in Conley B. Conley D, Conely E, and Conley F pick up their mail from the mailboxes in Conley E. Conley mailboxes are opened by a key.

Combinations and keys are distributed to residents at check-in when students return their Room Condition Reports. Mail is returned to sender during the summer when school is not in session.

Where can residents pick up their packages?

No matter what building a student lives, all residents pick up their packages at the Wunsch Hall Office. Please know that, unfortunately, there is usually a delay for when students can get their packages; all packages arrive initially to a campus sorting room before they are delivered to Wunsch Hall. A student may get a notification from the sender that the package has been ‘delivered’ to campus. However, since packages first go to a sorting room, it may take one additional day for them to arrive to Wunsch Hall. Students can check with the Wunsch Hall Office staff to see if the

package has arrived at Wunsch Hall. Don’t worry if it is not at Wunsch Hall yet; it may be on campus already but still in the process of getting to Wunsch Hall.

Where can students send out mail or packages?

Unfortunately, Otero College does not have a post office to serve students. There is, however, a regular blue United States Postal Service (USPS) mailbox near the street round-about, next to the east-side doors of the Student Center. Any student who has already affixed a stamp to their envelope can place mail in the blue mailbox located near the street round-about and parking lot on the east side of the Student Center. Students who need stamps or who want to mail a package can go directly to the La Junta United States Postal Service Office located at 324 Colorado Ave, La Junta, CO 81050. Please call ahead (719) 384-9841 for the most up-to-date hours of operation.

If a student already has a package label printed from UPS or FedEx, the student can affix the label to their package and the Otero College Physical Plant (Maintenance / Facilities Office) will send it out when UPS and FedEx come to campus. The Physical Plant, located on San Juan Avenue, is a building with a sign out front that says “Maintenance”; it is just a block down south of the Student Services building (McBride Hall). Students can call (719) 384- 6818 to check if the office is open or get other related help.

What should residents do if they get locked out of their room?

All residence hall room door’s lock automatically when closed. Residents who forget their key inside their rooms will be locked out. Residents should try to call their roommate to get let back into their room. If that doesn’t work, residents can knock on their Resident Assistant’s door (or call their RA if they have the phone number). Finally, residents can visit or call the Wunsch Hall Office (719) 384-6875. In situations where the office is closed and the student’s Resident Assistant is not answering knocks on the door, residents can call Campus Security (719) 469-2613. Residents should especially call Campus Security for late night lock- outs (after 11pm). No matter which staff member lets a student back into their room, the lockout will be documented, and the student will be charged $5 for the lockout service.

Can residents’ bunk or loft their beds?

Residents can bunk or loft the beds provided by the college. Anyone interested in bunking a set of bed needs to visit the Wunsch Hall Office and get four steel pins, which is all the equipment needed.

Students wanting to loft their bed will need the four steel pins but will also have to ask the Wunsch Hall Office for a work order to be placed with the Physical Plant; maintenance staff workers will have to bring an extra wood headboard and footboard to the student room in order to loft the bed.

Where can I find all Housing policies? Where are all the rules located?

A hard copy of the current-year Housing Handbook is available at the start of the year check-ins. In addition, the  Student and Housing Handbook is available online.