If you have a disability and feel that you may benefit from accommodations while attending Otero College, please contact Accessibility Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call (719) 384 6963 to set up an intake appointment. Accessibility Services is a free service that is here to support you in all your educational endeavors and help promote your independence and self-advocacy.
Accessibility Services strives to provide a supportive, accessible, non-discriminatory learning and working environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors with disabilities. The vision of Accessibility Services is that individuals with disabilities have full access to education, services, events, and activities Otero College has to offer.
Steps to Requesting Accomodation:
Students with disabilities that wish to request accommodations for their courses/testing need to follow the steps listed below:
- Set up an intake appointment with the Accessibility Specialist located in the Learning Commons Room 123.
- Complete and submit the online forms for Student Information and Student Rights and Responsibilities.
- Once you have met with the Accessibility Service Specialist you will work together to create your Letter of Accommodations (LOA) which will list the appropriate and reasonable accommodations for your courses.
- The Accessibility Specialist will email the LOAs to each of your instructors to ensure they are notified about your accommodation needs.
- Make sure to contact the office to sign up for accommodations each semester if needed.
Types of Accommodations:
Accessibility Services will work with students to ensure they are receiving the appropriate accommodations. Below is a list of some of the most common accommodations.
- Audio recorded lectures
- Volunteer Note Taker
Alternative Text Formats:
- Books available in word or PDF format with screen reader option
- Enlarge handout or tests
Accommodations for Test Taking:
- Extended time on tests
- Distraction free testing environment
- Test is read to student
- Test is enlarged